Sunday, August 21, 2011

Techno-Geek



It would be very easy for me to get into the thoroughly fascinating (to me) details of electronic musical instruments and the recording process.  In reality, most people don’t know or care about the difference between a patch and a scratch.  I could go into loving description of the different synthesizers and all manner of electronic musical toys I have and the ones that I covet, but I think most people would find that Zzzzzz…

So let me keep my inner techno-geek at bay for now and talk about music.  Ah, music… psychological studies (I didn’t say I was putting away the science geek, did I…) have shown that music is the most pleasurable human experience – over sex.  That may be hard to believe, but most of us spend more time listening to music than having sex.  Most of us.  Some of you out there – and you know who you are – even listen to music while having sex.  ‘Nuff said…

Imagine a world without music.  I can’t.  What would movies be like?  Do you only want to hear people talking on the radio?  Dancing would be weird.  No opera or ballet.  There would have been no Bach, no Mozart, no Beethoven, no Beatles, no (place your favorite music here).  Unthinkable.

Fortunately, that is not the world we live in.  Aside from a world where you can end a sentence in a preposition and get away with it, we are surrounded by the wonderful, moving, compelling, happy, sad, and the full range of emotion that is induced by a good listen to your favorite tunes.  It is a universal language that has transcended geo/political boundaries before diplomacy gets its foot in the door.  Let’s not forget that it has provided a place for we minstrels in the gallery to entertain you.  Often, we entertain ourselves to an equal or greater degree.

This week, I will post my latest track without the technical details.  It is a song called Memory.




This is a song about a lost love.  Hey, they can’t all be happy songs.  In its original incarnation, this was a song with lyrics played on traditional instruments (acoustic guitar, electric lead, bass, and drums).  It was given an electronic makeover and I think it captures the emotion of the original idea even better.

I make no promises, especially when some new music comes along, that I will not get back into techy geeky details.  For now, sit back, relax, and be glad for a world filled with wonderful music.

~eNjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment