Sunday, August 7, 2011

Welcome!



Welcome to eSyrup.  This site will be devoted to all things music (mostly mine).  Let’s get this thing rolling and see where it is headed.

It all started two days ago… well, actually it all started when I was five and shocked my relatives by playing my cousin’s piano by ear (which is much more difficult than using fingers), but I digress.  In the years that followed, I have played, performed, composed, recorded… and then it suddenly stopped.  Life changes, blah, blah, blah... I am now rebuilding a home studio and attempting to make up for too much lost time. 

Recently, I started taking old original recordings in ancient formats and converting them to mp3 files.  On Friday, I decided to post a piece of original music from the archives on Facebook.  I couldn’t see an easy way to link an mp3 and fussed about that for a while.  Then I saw something Fred Schneider did (yes, THAT Fred Schneider) via a site called SoundCloud.  In short order, I was posting my songs on SoundCloud, people actually started listening to them, and my pulse started racing.  I was able to post a link to Facebook and then I waited.  My pulse slowed.  Then I waited some more.  I took a nap.  “Oh, well,” I thought… that’s that.

The next day, I looked at my stats on SoundCloud (it does that) and was surprised at how many listens I had.  I also had some very nice comments on Facebook about the one song I posted… and that’s where things seemed to take on a life of their own.  I needed a neat little place to put my music, so I started a Musician’s page.  Facebook made none of this easy, of course.  They wouldn’t even let me start the name with a lowercase “e,” so it had to be “ESyrup” to match their rules for names.  Hmmm… I notice that iPhone, iPod, iPad, and all things “i” can do it.  Buggers…

The next logical step was to set up a website… and here we are.  In blogs to follow, I will answer the burning questions:

What is eSyrup?
What is up with that name?
Who are you, anyway?
How the hell did Jean Michel Jarre record Oxygene and Equinoxe with no sequencers?
That last question had some words I recognize, but what are you talking about?

All this and more will be answered (except the JMJ question – I have no idea how he did that).
For now, let's start with the song "Warm."  An original piece using: Proteus 1: piano, organ, Balinese drums, synth lead
Proteus 2: strings, miscellaneous percussive noises
Fatar controller keyboard
Cakewalk software

I will even explain what all of that nonsense means.

~eNjoy

2 comments:

  1. As someone who wades in the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to musical ability, I am more than a bit in awe of your talent, my friend. I look forward to listening to more of your music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Galen! You have followed my journey for many years; I am so glad to have you along for this one! Music has been my passion for a long, long time. It is time to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete